piezo stove ignitor problem solved [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Fri Oct 12 06:59:40 PDT 2007

Greetings, fellow knuckle busters~

Thanks for the suggestions about my Peerless stove issue resulting in
Outback FX shutdowns. The problem went continuous instead of
intermittant so that was a big help in troubleshooting. As unlikely as
this might seem, a wire got pinched between some sheet metal when the
Peerless stove was built, and was shorting out to the stove chassis. I
found it and fixed it in <only> 3.2 hours. The Peerless technicians were
unavailable, but the trusty continuity test on my volt-ohmmeter saved
the day.

As a suggestion for Christopher F., would it be possible for the FX to
simply resume operation after the fault subsides? I know of another
brand that shuts down when there's a short circuit on the AC output,
then automatically comes back up when the AC short circuit goes away. My
client and I made many trips up and down the stairs yesterday to
"reboot" the FX, and I wonder if that's really necessary.

Have a nice day,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

Jeff Oldham wrote:

> These stoves seem to have a very quirky ignition system. I have the same
> model as does John Wiles and we were talking one day and this issue just
> happened to come up. I also recall a string on here but good luck
> finding it. I don't think that either of us resolved the issues. Mine
> would start randomly igniting whenever I turned on my dishwasher, not
> every time but about 80%. However,I could stop it everytime by turning
> on the overhead CFL! Kitchen lights, stove and dishwasher are together
> on one circuit. But turning on any other CFL even nearby would not stop
> the persistant clicking. Sometimes we will get a few clicks when a large
> load change would take place (on or off) and sometimes for no reason at
> all. This was all happening on my trusty Trace U Series mod. sine.
> (2512) When I moved up to sine with a Magnum (2812) all mentioned
> problems went away. Although I ended up with less motor starting surge
> power that has traded the stove issues for others now, aahhhh simple
> living, gotta love it!
> There are lot's of these stoves out there on o-t-g systems as they don'y
> have the nasty "glow plug" in the oven and I suspect many are on Outback
> inverters. There is certainly a quirk in this Peerless and wiring
> systems and load types seem to play a part. I do not think it is Outback
> specific, keeping playing around with the varibles and wiring routing
> and hope others on the list chime in with their experiences/solutions.
> This remains a mystery to me....
> -jeff o
>

> From the Solar, Wind and Hydro powered office of Jeff
> Oldham/Regenerative SOLutions