Photowatt is Gone [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Sat Sep 29 14:54:18 PDT 2007

Wrenches,
A simple heads-up that the Matrix Photowatt plant in Albuquerque is closed,
gone, no more. I know little more about this. The only link I could find on
Scroogle about this is http://www.nmsitesearch.com/node/4190, which doesn't
say much. There's no announcement, press release, or, apparently, warranty
support that I can find. The matrix.com website just shows an "under
construction" display, and the French websites news releases end in 2005.

I heard that the US operation was too small and was shipped back to France,
but that's hearsay, not verified.

Even though they were located in our local region, we had little to do with
them. Their "seconds" often were used on do-it-yourself systems.

The piece that adds a bit of irony to this whole mini-drama is that around
1982, Windy Dankoff was the US distributor for Photowatt, a French
manufacturer of PV modules. They offered 35- and 55-watt modules, 36 single
crystal round cells, . There are quite a few of these still in use around
this area, of course. In all my years, I have yet to find
lower-than-nameplate performance on a single one of those I have measured.
The only repair I have ever done to any has been to resolder broken terminal
studs.

If anyone knows any more, or can correct this post, please do.

Allan at Positive Energy

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com