PV and New Residential Construction [RE-wrenches]

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Wed Sep 12 14:02:47 PDT 2007

Well here we are two years later. We did what we thought was correct:
readily accessible DC disconnect before penetration, MC cable, protection
plates, labeling. The job is finished and now the inspector is insisting on
fusible DC disconnects. He claims that "no unfused conductors shall be
installed within buildings." What about the current-limited nature of the PV
string, and the series fuse rating? If we deployed interior cable for the DC
run with wires of sufficient ampacity (compared to series fuse rating of the
modules), is this not sufficient?

Can anyone cite NEC 2002 specifically allowing an un-fused disconnect? NEC
2005?

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com