FW: system expansion [RE-wrenches]

Sky Sims sky at ecologicalsystems.biz
Wed Aug 22 10:59:11 PDT 2007

"Square D was saying that the plastics that support the bus bars can get

too hot and deform in this situation especially if the panel is exposed

to direct sun.

He did not go so far to say this would create a hazard but he did say

this was something they do not test for so it potentially could be an

issue."

The lack of testing on the plastic supports does not even begin to make

sense to me. I find the concept ridiculous. Every material in a panel

has to have been tested (to failure) and rated at some point in the

manufacturing and component selection process. The actual temperature at

which the plastic supports melt or lose their integrity must be

documented by the manufacturer, otherwise how would they get it listed

for use in a temperature sensitive environment.

Regardless this concern remains a non issue because of the thermal

nature of the breakers which will result in breakers tripping off before

heat build up becomes an actual hazard to the integrity of the bus or

the plastic standoffs. (please correct me with manufacturers data if I

am mistaken)

"The total thermal loading of the panel is potentially 480 Amps worth of

breakers (200 main, 240 load, 40 PV)."

As for this point, so what? Is someone trying to imply that the

resistive loads of breakers feeding loads is so high that it will result

in the panel reaching a dangerous temperature before the thermal nature

of the breakers causes them to trip? In this scenario the bus still only

sees 240 amps. And as long as the solar fed breaker is at the opposite

end of the bus from the main breaker (something I've always encouraged)

no point on the bus will ever see more than 200amps, even if the solar

fed breaker was a 200amp breaker instead of the 40amp in this example.

These points that are being raised as reasons to limit the allowable

size of a solar fed breaker to anything less than the tab rating of the

panel are  ridiculous.

In any scenario that I can think of the solar breaker either offsets the

power being fed from the utility fed breaker or breakers start tripping

and it becomes very apparent very quickly that the panel needs to be

upgraded. (let me know if I'm missing something)

I am very concerned about standards raisers adding costs to systems for

ridiculous reasons. This industry really needs to focus more on how to

reduce costs so that everyone can obtain a system.

If we applied the same philosophy to the wiring in our homes as we do to

solar we would all be living in padded cells. Our TV's would be hard

wired to an inaccessible power supply and the wires would be encased in

conduit so that children couldn't bite through the wires when we aren't

looking or stick their fingers in the outlets. Every time we decided to

move the TV or replace it a skilled professional would have to come out

and do it for us. And the only people with electricity would be the

wealthiest 5 percent of society because the cost would be so high that

no one else could afford it.

There must be a happy middle ground between safety and affordability.

People use gas in their homes in spite of the "reasonable" risks
associated with

carbon monoxide poisoning and the fact that nearly 100,000 people in

this country are negatively affected by its use annually many actually
killed. Solar isn't at all like that.

Plug and Play should be our shining goal. Allowing inverters to be

simply plugged into an exterior or interior outlet is something that we

should be pushing for (European countries already allow this). Getting

the tab rating versus bus rating issue addressed is worth pushing for
now.

At this point it may be time to get some materials engineers from some

of the bigger panel manufacturers like square d, siemens, cutler hammer

etc.. to weigh in on this issue.

My 2 cents,

Sky Sims

Ecological Systems