module connector issues [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Mon Aug 20 12:53:08 PDT 2007

OK, now I'm really confused.

After killing off junction boxes, manufacturers switched to Type 1 single conductor MC-1 connectors. Then for some unknown reason they switched to Type 2 two conductor MC-2 connectors, then some module manufacturers are now shipping with an MC-3 connector (whatever that is), now some module manufacturers are shipping with Tyco Solarloc locking connectors.

Is this just an improvement of an older product and these early generation connectors are slowly being phased out, or does each have a special use and all will still be made for some time. I know there is also some code issues that may be driving this to make them more secure or locking, and if this is the case, are these older types not going to meet new code requirements.

Finally, I can't help but think we all soon will be sitting on the shop floor with boxes of special adapters trying to connect all these mis-matched module ends to junction boxes and other strings.  Sounds like solar array wiring will start to look like my strings of Christmas tree lights.

Jeff Yago
Dunimis Technology Inc.

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com