system expansion [RE-wrenches]

Larry Brown, Sunmountain sunmountain at netstep.net
Thu Aug 16 16:58:15 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Wrenches,

I just finished a system for a client with 36 Sanyo 200"s.  4 strings
of 6 modules each feed a SunnyBoy 6000.  2 strings of 6 modules each
feed a SunnyBoy 3000.  We did a tap on the main service entrance
conductors between the utility meter and the main ( new 200 amp )
service panel.
Now that wen are done the customer wants to add batteries to the
system.  So we are looking at a Sunny Island and a step up
transformer or possibly two Sunny Islands depending on critical loads
to be run.
The questions are how to reconfigure the wiring from the Sunny Boys
since they will now go to the critical loads panel rather than to the
tap on the service entrance wiring. The Sunny Island will go to the
main service entrance panel.
We have 60 amps ( 40 amps for the Sunny Boy 6000 and 20 amps for the
Sunny Boy 3000 ) coming from the two inverters combined into one 60
amp outside disconnect to satisfy the local utility requirement of
only one disconnect switch for the whole system.
The Sunny Island requires a 70 amp breaker.

Any suggestions on how to set up the critical loads sub panel so to
not violate an code requirements?
Does the Sunny Island fall under the 120% rule since it is a 70 amp
breaker and a 200 amp main service panel.
Anyone done this set up before?

Thanks

Larry Brown
Sun Mountain