Join RE-Markets list [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch michael_welch at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 22 13:45:07 PDT 2007

Hi gang. Just a reminder to all of you on this list that you automatically qualify to join the RE-Markets listserver, as well.

By doing so, you get the advantage of marketing-related emails like this one from Joel Davidson. You also will be able to view possible leads from other wrenches, and pass yours on to them.

It is also the place to discuss incentives, business issues, and other marketing tools.

Bill Roush is the volunteer moderator for that list. To join, please contact him directly at:
              billroush at gmail.com

Thanks.

>SEIA Members,
>
>First, many thanks to all of you who called, wrote letters, and met with your Congressional representatives.  We greatly appreciate all of the help, and any continued success will be a reflection of our cohesion and willingness to work and strategize together.
>
>The last 48 hours have been a roller-coaster ride.  After the House Ways & Means and Senate Finance Committees approved tax packages with strong provisions for the solar ITC (detailed below), we unfortunately suffered a set-back yesterday afternoon on the Senate floor. Shortly after noon, the Senate rejected the "Baucus Amendment" that included all energy tax provisions, including the solar ITC extension.  The tax provisions were rejected due to controversy over the revenue raisers or "pay-fors" in the bill.  Under current rules, any tax cuts that decrease tax revenue to the Treasury have to be paid for through some other offsetting measure.
>
>Please see the article below from National Journal's Congress Daily for a full discussion of the vote and other developments.
>
>Bottom-line:  Majority Leader Reid and Finance Committee Chairman Baucus have promised that they will address energy tax issues in this session.  We are working with our allies to determine next steps, and will communicate with the SEIA membership on our strategy going forward.
>
>Ultimately, we are still optimistic.  We have developed a strong and vocal group of solar champions in Congress, and the solar ITC provisions passed by the two tax committees clearly demonstrate recognition that Congress must enact a long-term solar energy policy.  The reasons for failure are unrelated to the solar provisions and while we are disappointed that the provisions are not passing now, we are confident that we will succeed in the end.
>
>Thanks
>Rhone Resch, SEIA Executive Director
>
>COMMITTEE APPROVED PROVISIONS:
>House Ways & Means approved:
>Commercial:  8 years section 48, AMT relief
>Removal of Utility Exemption
>Residential:  Zero years section 25, completely removes cap, AMT relief
>
>Senate Finance committee approved:
>Commercial:  8 yrs section 48
>Residential:   6 yrs section 25, $4,000 cap (adjusted upward from $2,000)
>No AMT relief
>Removal of Utility Exemption
>
>National Journal's CongressDaily, Friday, June 22, 2007
>
>The overall package will not include a $32 billion package of energy tax incentives, whose supporters Thursday were unable to get the 60 votes needed to limit debate and attach it to the larger bill. Because cloture on the broader bill was invoked Thursday, germaneness rules prevent the tax amendment from being offered again.

> [...]

Michael Welch
Sr. Editor
     Home Power magazine
     www.homepower.com