Xantrex GT Series [RE-wrenches]

Mark Edmunds mark.edmunds at xantrex.com
Wed Jun 13 17:32:19 PDT 2007

Dear Wrenches;

I wanted to post a note and provide an update to an issue you may have
heard of regarding GT Series inverters.

We ran into a manufacturing process problem affecting some GT’s made
from June 1 to September 29th 2006.  In a nutshell, we have found a
component failure (a capacitor) on the power board.  The failure is
variable, meaning it does not affect all units.  While the failure is
benign (no smoke or excitement), this can make the GT erroneously stay
in “Inverter Off-Line” mode and unfortunately results in the need to
exchange the inverter.  Inverter Off-Line is normal at night, when PV is
unavailable, but is not correct when sufficient irradiance is available.

What is Xantrex doing about this?

·         We have studied and corrected the manufacturing issue.  The
correction was phased into manufacturing on October 2, 2006.  In
addition, all new UL-2005 compliant inverter models are completely
unaffected.  This includes the new GT2.8, GT3.3N, GT4.0N, and GT5.

·         For dealers who encounter this problem we are increasing our
installer fee to $250 to swap an inverter and we will ship any
replacement requests using expedited shipping.  We will also issue a
call tag to ensure that Xantrex covers all shipping costs.

We have studied this failure mode and have determined it does not affect
all GT’s made during the identified time period.  However, the resulting
failure rate will admittedly be higher than what we normally expect.
Xantrex is not recommending any immediate action, other than to advise
that Xantrex has identified and corrected the issue, and will support
installers with an increased service fee to deal with any resulting
product exchanges.

We apologize for the manufacturing error and will do everything possible
to make any resulting product exchanges as simple as possible.  I also
want to point out that despite this issue we increased our standard
warranty to 10 years in February of this year.

For more information we have posted a tech bulletin on our website at
the following URL:

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/172/p/docs/pt/2/product.asp

Thanks

Mark Edmunds