Large grid-tie with batteries [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Tue May 29 15:17:58 PDT 2007

We have a client that is totally renovating a
farm house into a high tech home and converting an adjoining house
(separate lot, separate meter base) into his business office.
However, he wants to be totally "green" with
as much grid -tie as possible, but this area gets some fairly bad
snow/ice storms that can cause power outages lasting days. (he is at end
of line).  He refuses to consider a generator, but is willing to install
as much battery/solar as required.

I am back to the old issue of wanting as much grid-tie as possible, yet
still keeping a large battery bank available for back-up. He wants up to
20kW of solar array, and back-feeding the "office" from the house
service since it is currently on its own meter and we need as much load
as possible at the house to offset the large solar array.  This would
normally mean a row of grid-tie inverters and a high voltage array to
keep down voltage drop but this leaves out the several days of battery
back-up he demands. If I go with a stack of OutBacks and run the array
around 72 volts to reduce voltage drop to the 48 volt battery bank, I
am not going to have as much grid-tie sell back and will need a very
expensive multi-cable run from array to batteries (275 feet).

So, are we back to the ol combination of both inverter types and
back-feeding the grid-tie through conventional inverters, and if so, how
do we handle this much array?   This is at least 8 grid-tie inverters
back-feeding through who knows what kind of battery-based inverter arrangement.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff Yago

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com