Onan remote start question [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed May 9 21:51:51 PDT 2007

Wrenches,
I recommended but did not supply an Onan RS20000 LP generator for a large
residential offgrid home for which construction is nearly complete. The
installation manual has been lost. While I have the AC output wiring
complete, the remote genstart signal is not. I need help with the wiring.

I am familiar with the Onan autostart logic from making it work with the
genstart relays and setup on the SW series of Trace inverters. I had thought
(from postings on this list) that the newer Onan RS15000 and RS20000 units
were a two-wire start, which I assumed duplicated the simple Kohler logic of
close contact to start and run/break contact to shut off.

Now I am looking at a terminal wiring guide (with no support explanation)
that could be either approach; either like the traditional Onan start logic,
or the two-wire Kohler logic. Terminals 10 and 11 are remote start and are
NO with terminal 10 identified as ground. Terminals 15 and 16 are identified
as remote stop, and are NC with terminal 15 identified as ground. I could
interpret this to mean that ground terminals 10 and 15 are common, and a
simple relay with 11 hooked to the NO terminal and 16 hooked to the NC would
do the trick.

But I'd rather ask for advice here. So please: what's the skinny on remote
starting this unit on an Outback system, please? Do I have to add an
Atkinson GSM module or mini GSM module? Will a relay work? Is there a simple
way to wire it directly?

I can send a .pdf of the wiring diagram to anyone who asks offlist.

Thanks for any assistance.
Allan at Positive Energy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com