Gen Set / Xfer switch sizing [RE-wrenches]

Dan Brown Cvsolar2 at aol.com
Thu Apr 19 05:11:04 PDT 2007

hey everyone;
       I'm working on a stand by Gen Set (12k kohler) project for our local
Fire Dept. one of the other members (w/ masters ticket) wants to use a 200 Amp
auto Xfer switch (kohler) to automatically switch between line and gen set. we
figure the place should run just fine on about 8k. but it does have a 200A
main entrance.
       issue is, there's another electrician (master ) , who says that the
code says that the gen set must be rated at the same size as the xfer switch --
i.e., 200Amp.
       I've talked to a few folks -- they say they know there's exceptions in
the code for inverters, but have never heard of gen set sizing issues.
       so, distinguished colleagues, any one ever heard of this issue? pros?,
cons? logic? any advice would be greatly appreciated? thanks db

Dan Brown

Foxfire Energy
Professional Renewable Energy Systems
Service, and Installation