Reliable PV direct submersible? [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Mon Feb 26 19:01:22 PST 2007

Hi, Wrenchies~

A childhood friend just called me for help on a pumping system. His
mechanical style windmill just got blown away due to high winds...again.
He's asked me about PV direct submersible pumping 700 to 1000 gpd, total
lift 120'.

Remember, this is my longtime friend whom I would like to keep as a
friend. He is used to having pump problems once or twice a year but
would like less trouble than that and would certainly not enjoy more
trouble than that. As I review my history with PV direct pumping systems
it occurs to me that my clients have had frequent trouble with every
major brand of pump/controller that I've worked with. That includes
several major brands some of which were fairly expensive. I gave up
entirely on this category several years ago, so I don't know the product
landscape very well any more.

Could any of you recommend a PV direct submersible system that would be
highly reliable? Aerovironment's inverter solution with conventional
pump looks good but seems cost prohibitive because of the high PV
wattage required. I'm inclined to suggest the Grundfos SQFlex system
this time. That's one that I've never had occasion to curse but also one
that I've never sold, so I hope to get opinions from List members with
mud on their boots.

I'm sorry to seem cynical but the past problems with this product
category have stripped my gears. I definitely see the appropriateness of
PV direct pumping but I also need to stop selling things that break
down. This pumping site is not close to my location so I need something
with "set it and forget it" reliability.

Thanks all around,

Mick Abraham
Abraham Solar Equipment
Pagosa Springs, CO