Truck advice [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri Jan 19 18:14:16 PST 2007

Wrenches,
One of our planned capital expenses for 2007 will be a new(er) truck. We are
small, with only two trucks, so this will replace the oldest. I'm writing
for suggestions.

Both of our current trucks are one-ton conventional Chevys with utility
boxes (in place of beds) and overhead racks for conduit. Both have been set
up in similar arrangements, developed over many years, of wire spool racks
and bins and boxes for fittings and small parts. As such, unless there's an
approach that is so super-outrageously-wonderful that we should start over,
we'll keep the same basic service-body approach so part locations remain
familiar.

What would your next truck look like if you had $25,000 to invest? (This
would probably start with a late-model used something.) What if you chose to
spend ~$40,000 and could choose something new? Make, model, engine...

We're tired of ten mpg on gas, but unsure about the time investment for
veggie-diesel (one +E owner drives a veggie-Rabbit, and I am nearly done
converting my old diesel Mercedes, so we're not ignorant about doing this)
on a commercial truck.

Both trucks weigh 8,000-10,000 pounds ready to work, so a small truck isn't
an option.

Isuzu or GM diesel? New Freightliner/Mercedes? Dually pickup with bed
conversion? 4WD would be nice but not essential, as the newer existing truck
is 4WD, and most of our business growth is grid-tied, not remote.

I have the job of recommending what we get, and I'd like to hear what works
well for you. Thank you for any good advice.

Allan at Positive Energy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php