120 degree azimuth [RE-wrenches]

Jim Easton jim at altenertec.com
Wed Dec 20 08:30:30 PST 2006

I understand PVWatts is in the process of revision. I have never trusted its
numbers, and our designer here (James Pinon), who has been playing with it,
tells me that its results appear to be inconsistent with his expectations.

NREL makes HOMER available free, and I have been finding it quite useful. It
will model both on- and off-grid systems & allow one to optimize tilt
angles. Your tax dollars really working for you in this case!

If it is acceptable, I did a little EXCEL program to calculate positioning
of panels not aligned with the mounting surface. Looks different, but makes
more efficient use of modules.

The simplest model assumes output falls off as the cosine of the
misalignment. This is pessimistic, but cosine (60 Deg) is 50%, so I would be
wary of blindly believing the 7.6%.

If you want, contact me off list & I will do a HOMER run for you.

Jim Easton PE
Alternative Energy Technologies
www.altenertec.com
CSL: 852243