Solar Drip Irrigation [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff windydankoff at mac.com
Tue Dec 19 13:51:07 PST 2006

<x-flowed>

Ray

Array-direct pressure pumping isn't appropriate. It will often supply
below-peak flow and lead to very uneven distribution of water, always
favoring the same (lower, closer) emitters. There needs to be a
battery, but it can be quite small in relation to the load, because
it will be drawn upon mostly during dry (sunny) weather.

If they need little enough flow to have used the Slowpump, they can
simply use Slowpump on a battery system. If it's the larger (2507)
model, then they can select the "Low Speed" model Flowlight Booster
Pump which is made of the same components but comes with pressurizing
accessories.

Warning however (clear in the specs) is that water must be filtered
crystal clear. That is probably not feasible with a rain catch system
in our dusty climate. You might look at another pump. For low flows,
centrifugal pumps are not efficient. You'll probably use 1/3 the
energy with another type of positive displacement pump. All I know of
is Shurflo or similar diaphragm pump. They can tolerate fine silt.
Likely, the only acceptable longevity results from using a 24V one of
the largest model, and running it at 12V (half the rated flow). -- IF
that doesn't produce enough flow, you can plumb two pumps in
parallel, but wait ... Look at the Sunpumps Quad diaphragm
submersible (the original Solarjack company). It's long lasting and
saves you potential freeze problems. It's 24V and can run 1/2 speed
at 12V.

Love,
Windy

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com