AGM battery strings: Problems? [RE-wrenches]

Kelly Keilwitz kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Wed Dec 6 19:21:26 PST 2006

Hi Doug,
Thanks for the encouragement. I also received the following feedback
off-list from Dan, a Sr. Engineer with Exeltech (who prefers to stay in the
background, but agreed to let me post it) :

quote:
" .... batteries must be
substantially different in age and/or condition before paralleling
two different strings is an issue. You
can parallel the two strings you described without worry.

First, the battery systems are within months of each other in age, so
that's not a problem.  They must be -years- apart and/or
significantly different in health before paralleling is ruled out.
#2 .. despite the differences A-H ratings, the two paralleled strings
will share current flow proportionately based on their rated
capacities.

Connect the strings as you would any other series/parallel
configuration with +/- connected in opposite corners - you'll have a
193 A-H battery.   Follow the charge specs from the AGM mfgr
including the temperature compensation - you'll be fine."

Dan went on to say that he has several sets of AGM's, some as old as 20
years, and has 35+ years of experience with batteries.

-Kelly

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php