Atkinson GSCM-mini [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Thu Nov 30 19:04:34 PST 2006

I think if the generator is set up for 2-wire remote start/stop, you
would then only need a relay with a 12v coil which would close/open a
set of points in response to the 12v signal from the Outback products.
In my current project, however, the generator is not set up for 2-wire
remote start/stop but is instead the Onan 3-wire system. So: a "2 to 3
wire converter" type circuit is needed, hence my GCSM idea. Onan builds
a converter of their own...for very big dollars, and there are home-brew
options I'm sure. The GCSM has one or two added wrinkles, such as direct
acceptance of the Outback 12V signal which makes it a bit more than a
straight 2 to 3 wire converter. Also the GCSM will monitor the generator
starting battery voltage and crank the machine strictly to maintain that
battery...nice idea. This is what I've gleaned from a cursory look at
the literature, but I'm still curious about the GCSM-mini, which seems
to also do all of the above. When specifying new systems from the ground
up, I always prefer a generator with the 2-wire architecture, but I'm
dealing with a pre-owned generator on this one. Charge! Mick Abraham

Andrew Truitt wrote:

> I was told by Outback that we could automate a generator directly from
> the AUX port on a GTFX using the Adv Gen Start menu on the Mate.  Why
> do you guys use the GCSM?  Let me guess - there is not always enough
> current to fire up the generator?
>
> --
> Andrew Truitt
> System Designer/Lead Installer
> Standard Solar Inc.
> Office: (301) 296 - 4373
> Cell: (415) 290 - 8240
> Fax: (301) 296 - 4548
> andrewtruitt at standardsolar.com
>

> On 11/30/06, Randy Brooks <Randy at brookssolar.com> wrote:
> >

> > Mick,
> >
> > We used the Atkinson GCSM with the OutBack FX and a 1960 vintage Onan
> > propane 3 wire start generator and it's working well so far.  There's
> > a photo and brief description on our web site (brookssolar.com/news/
> > OwenCabin.html).  If further details are needed, contact me off list.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Randy Brooks
> > Brooks Solar, Inc.
> > Solar Power for People
> > 140 Columbia View
> > Chelan, WA  98816
> > 509-682-9646
> > info at BrooksSolar.com
> > www.BrooksSolar.com
> >
> > On Nov 29, 2006, at 9:27 PM, Mick Abraham wrote:
> >

> > > I'm preparing to automate an Onan "3-wire start" propane generator
> > > using
> > > an Outback Mate for the decision making (cringe). I cringe because my
> > > prior genset automation efforts have yielded frequent call-backs, but
> > > that's another story. To translate the 12v Outback signal into the
> > > appropriate start/stop signals for the genset, I'm considering the
> > > Atkinson GCSM or GCSM-mini. Can anyone share their thoughts on either
> > > unit? I'm leaning toward the mini b/c I want the Mate to do all the
> > > deciding and simply need a signal converter module. One of my
> > > wholesale
> > > vendors sells the full GCSM unit but not the Mini. My other usual
> > > suppliers don't show either version. Red flags, or am I just not
> > > looking
> > > in the right places? Thank you, List Members for the always
> > > courteous &
> > > professional atmosphere.
> > >
> > > Mick Abraham
> > > Abraham Solar Equipment

> [...]