WEEB report [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 4 17:15:52 PST 2006

<x-flowed>

HI Bill and all,

I agree.  We set the standard- and rightfully so as we've moved the
industry forward with new innovations and sincere intent to meet the
spirit of the code.    This is as it should be - the inspectors
appreciate it.

Mostly we are educating the inspectors on every job.  The only issues
they usually raise are at the power board or with grounding or
interconnection issues - I've never had one actually go up on a roof
unless it was a flat commercial job.  Even then they ask - not tell -
in most instances.

With WEEBs we should spread the word as a done deal - not a potential
point of conflict.

And surely not consult the module manufacturer's guidelines.  It is
because of their lack of attention to grounding that the WEEB needing
inventing in the first place.

Best,

Jeff C.

>Don,
>
>I would argue that the module manufacturer's literature is generally so
>hopelessly poor on this issue that expecting them to have anything to say
>about products like the WEEB is ridiculous and irrelevant. It is a bonding
>system designed to work with any standard anodized aluminum framed module.
>There is no restriction on the listing other than it has to be used with
>modules that the rail manufacturer has specified. This is a big step in the
>right direction, and I don't think Wiley's patent is specific enough to
>cause problems with other similar products. The concept is actually a very
>standard idea that has been used for other products for many years. We have
>Wiley Electronics to thank for being the first to bell the cat, and they
>have developed a very good product for this purpose.
>
>Placing doubts in inspector's minds is the wrong approach to take with new
>products like this. There is no requirement that module manufacturers
>provide specific information on how to bond their products. The research I
>have done on this subject shows that bonding products and metallic products
>often have very sketchy, if any direction on proper methods. Just look at
>Sharp's old bonding hardware if you doubt me. A specific product like the
>WEEB that is designed for a specific purpose, installed as directed, is as
>crystal clear as is possible in this world. No inspector of merit should
>have reason to question this.
>
>Bill Brooks, PE
>Brooks Engineering
>873 Kells Circle
>Vacaville, CA 95688
>office and mobile phone: 707-332-0761
>fax:707-451-7739
>email: billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
>web: www.brooksolar.com
>
>Ecclesiastes 11:7 Light is sweet, and it pleases the eyes to see the sun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com
NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage
877-765-2784
65 Schoolhouse Rd