Just how good are those used, sealed lead-acid batteries? [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Sat Oct 21 10:06:43 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

--On Friday, October 20, 2006 8:03 PM -0700 Bob Clark <bclark at solar-wind.us> wrote:

> I can quite easily measure the voltage of a sealed battery by using a meter, but how do I know how "good" a used, sealed battery is?  That is, if the sealed, lead-acid battery has been in use for 2 to 3 years, how do I determine its condition (and capacity to hold a charge) if I do not know its use history?  I need to determine how "good" each of 20 of these batteries are (I have reason to believe that the condition of these batteries varies widely).  I would hate to have to haul them
somewhere (except to recycle them if they are no good) to be tested.

Can you borrow a proper in-circuit battery tester from your battery supplier?  These are several thousand dollar gadgets that measure internal resistance (even in-circuit) and can sort the good from the bad in a pile of batteries in a few minutes.  e.g. <http://www.btechinc.com/btech-products-pit.shtml>

.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php