Backfeeding breakers [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Thu Oct 12 15:23:31 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

All you gotta do is pull the breaker and show them how there is no power
on the lugs as per UL1741. It is technically not a back fed breaker
because of this. The whole reason for the hold down screw is to prevent
dangerous, loose, hot conductors should the breaker somehow (unlikely)
pull loose. If when the breaker is disconnected from the bus there is no
power, then the reason for that rule to be used is moot since the power
shuts off as soon as the breaker is disconnected from the buss.

Todd

Jeff Oldham wrote:

>Hi Bill,
>I only wish I had your luck or skills of persuasion! I can recall 3 jobs where the inspector got hung up on this and flatly refused to pass it (no retainer on back-feed breaker). I do taps as a rule now and have to deal with the B/S. Heck, here in Mendocino County we are still held to the '96 NEC! About 1/2 of the inspectors get pissed off when I try to ref. a newer code and fire back something like "THIS jurisdiction enforces a different set of codes and if and when we adopt a newer code we can talk about it then."
>I have to say that a lot of this goes away if you don't call it a back-feed and instead call it a parallel. Just as the code does not allow for a "sink" in a bedroom but a "wash basin" (even plumbed) is OK!

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com