SQ D HU 362 A Ratings? [RE-wrenches]

Robert Nuese r.nuese at comcast.net
Tue Oct 10 23:13:17 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hello All

Thanks Mark for that link.

Now that I've studied the bulletin, I have a lingering question.
The diagram shows that you can connect 3 separate
inverters to the 3 poles of a disconnect, and the text confirms
that "One inverter may be connected to each pole of the
switch", as long as the PV current is no higher than the
maximums listed in Table 1.

Fine, but are there cases in which we can connect 2 or 3 of
those strings to a single inverter?

The bulletin tells us "If a non-fusible disconnect is used, the
inverter must not be capable of backfeeding currents into a
short circuit or fault in the photovoltaic array or string."
This suggests that unless the inverter has internal fusing on
each string input (or other circuitry to explicitly handle the
issue), then we'd have to use a fused disconnect for this
method, otherwise the current from one string could feed
back through another pole to a short circuit in another string,
violating the requirement.

Still, I'm hoping that some inverters can handle this situation,
or that it would be allowed with fused disconnects.

Thanks much,
Robert

Mark Frye wrote:

> For those who may like to review the Bulletin, the link is as follows:
>  http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Electrical%20Distribution/Safety%
> 20Switches/Heavy%20Duty/3110DB0401.pdf
>

> Ryan Mayfield wrote:
>>
>> Jeff,
>>
>> Square D has an updated bulletin for the 30, 60 and 100 A HU
>> disconnects. The HU362 can take an array up to 38A Isc per pole
>> (the 100
>> can take up to 64A Isc) . I'll forward the new bulletin to you
>> directly.
>>
>> Ryan
>>
>>> Jeff C. wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I have a copy of the Listing Information letter for the Square D
>>> HU361 (30A)  from Square D.
>>>
>>> Is there an equivalent letter for the HU 362 (60 Amp model?)  Or
>>> does
>>> anyone know the ratings for the various wiring schemes?  The 30 Amp
>>> model can carry 30 amps when using one pole wired in series to the
>>> far pole (2 poles per inverter)  and 18 amps (max A) when using one
>>> pole per inverter.
>>>
>>> Anyone know the corresponding amperage rating for the 362?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Jeff C.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com