How To Get 2,000 W/Sq M [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 24 05:25:35 PDT 2006

Hi Mark
Yes this is the field of snow or lake enhancement.  A
white or reflector to enhance the solar flux.  I
believe most calculations suggest 1.1 or 1.2 increase.
 You know the best power is from tracking, because the
sun is normal to the modules, any reflection is at an
off angle,(cosine effect) and carries less power.  The
problem with reflectors on trackers is the reflected
light has to illuminate the whole module uniformly to
be of value.  (partial shading effect on module
performance) Lastly the sky is bright, a white fence
to the south of an array reflects north sky light and
blocks south sky light and is not as strong a benefit
as might be thought.  A white roof or snow is better
for northern climates where we keep the angle steeper.
Darryl

--- Mark Byington <sales at cobaltpower.com> wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone else has had this thought
>
> If you are locating PV modules on a flat commercial
> roof, and the rooftop has long rectangular fenced in
> areas running E-W for HVAC equipment, it would seem
> that locating the modules just south of the fence
> and painting the fence white, would provide a
> reflective surface that would significantly increase
> the irradiance falling on the modules - for free.
>
> I know the effect would not be 2x, but I could
> imagine it being 1.2x or 1.3x.
> Since the light is incoherent, there should not be
> any interference effect.
> A highly reflective surface like aluminum sheeting
> would be even better, but this starts to add cost,
> and may not pass planning approval.
>
> Has anybody tried this?
> Mark
> Cobalt Power Systems, Inc.