Point of Connection Intent [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Fri Sep 15 15:18:49 PDT 2006

Thanks William,

I think we see eye to eye on this. I too believe that the intent of the
article is to require OCP on the PV system circuit prior to
“connection” with the premise wiring. Also no other loads or
sources of supply are allowed on the PV system side of that OCP.

When a circuit breaker, slotted into a buss is available, the point of
connection is the terminals of the circuit breaker.  When there is no
circuit breaker available a fused disconnect must be used. By it’s
very nature the fused disconnect must be tapped into an available feeder
somewhere along the premise wiring.  Without a tap there is no
functioning fused disconnect.  The code allows the use of the
disconnect, therefore it must allow the tap. The point of connection of
the PV system is now the terminals on PV system side of the fused
disconnect.

MPF

William Miller wrote:

> Mark:
>
> I have no history with the writing of this section, but in my humble
> opinion, the obvious reason for (B) (1) is so the feeders from the
> inverter
> have over-current protection and a way to turn off AC from the grid to
> that
> feeder.
>
> As per your Question 2:  I did not write the section, but in reading it
> see that it REQUIRES, not prevents  a dedicated disconnect.
>
> Are you tapping the feeder to an existing disconnect that feeds another
> load?  If so, if it is otherwise legal and you provide another
> disconnect
> dedicated to the grid-tie system, you are correct.
>
> William Miller
>

> At 08:20 AM 9/15/2006, you wrote:
>
> >Can any veteran wrench address the issue of the history and intent of
> >the code relative to Article 690.64 (B) (1)?
> >
> >Was there a particular reasoning such that it's intent was to prohibit
> >making a feeder tap to a fused disconnect?
> >
> >If so can anyone describe a way that a fused disconnect can be utilized
> >in anyway to make the connection of a PV system circuit to the premise
> >wiring.
> >
> >Mark Frye
> >Berkeley Solar Electric Systems

- - - -