"Point of Connection" To Tap, or Not to Tap" [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Thu Sep 14 23:26:42 PDT 2006

Bruce,

I have been looking at this with a buddy who just went through it on a
job he did, but this was a fused disconnect on the load side if the main
disconnecting means.  The same argument was made by the AHJ that the
point of connection was the tap not the fused disconnect, and this is
not allowed.  I think it is pretty clear that the terminals in the fused
disconnect are the “point of connection”.  The taps are just that, taps.
I understand that a few major players in the solar field were consulted,
but none were willing to weight in strongly against the determination of
the AJH so....no go with the fused diconnect. Too bad for us all.

Here is my mental exercise that make this seem pretty clear to me. Prior
to doing the solar work, I pull a separate permit to install a new
branch circuit. I tap a feeder and install a fused disconnect. That’s
it.  I don’t really want to connect anything to circuit, I just want to
have it there.  I do not believe that there is anything in the code or
in common sense that would prohibit my from doing this. Fine. Now I pull
a permit to install a solar system, and the “point of connection” is the
terminals in the fused disconnect. So in the end, what is the difference
other than the AHJ imposing an interpretation that goes against common
sense?

How is this different whether this exercise is played out above or below
the main disconnecting means?

As far as the conductor size for these taps, the tap rules in Article
240.21 define the allowable conductor size relative the length of the
tap and the size of the OCP in the feeder and the branch (for the load
side connection only).

As far as the line side connections, I think this is essentially a new
service and the tap conductor need only be sized to the OCP in the PV
system circuit referring to Article 230.

In a groundfault/short circuit situation in the service drop conductors,
the only protection are the fuses at the utilty transformer anyway.  The
OCP in the main is to protect the service drop conductors from more
"long term" overcurrent so the conductors are matched in size to the OCP
or vis-a-versa.

I have seen postings here egarding the nature of the line side
connection being like a service but I haven't seen a thread here
regarding the "point of connection" issue.

Good Luck.

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems

- - - -