Standing Seam S5s vs. Penetrations [RE-wrenches]

Kelly Keilwitz kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Tue Sep 12 15:57:58 PDT 2006

Hi Jeff,
I'm glad to share. The clamp I was going to use - and the one that fits most
roof seam profiles is the S-5-U Mini. Rob sent me a pdf of the choices
(sorry I can't forward the pdf to everyone, as we have very slow dialup).

The roofing was 22 gauge, with seams  at 17" centers. I don't know what the
as-built configuration was, as we didn't install it.

-Kelly

On 9/12/06 6:25 PM, "Jeff Clearwater" <clrwater at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi Kelly,
>
> Thank you- this is exactly the kind of info I was looking to confirm.
> I really appreciate it!

> The preliminary results from my engineer agree with what you say
> below.  The Mini-clamp though is a revelation!
>
> Do you know the S5! designation for the Mini-clamp?  I don't see it
> on their web site under that name though I see that reference by
> other suppliers.  Is it the S-5! E?  I have a call into Rob -
> hopefully he's around these days.
>
> And what was the gauge of the roofing you were working with?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Jeff C.
> Village Power Design
>

>> Hi Jeff,
>> We designed a 21.3 KW PV system with S-5! clamps that was recently installed
>> (another company won the install bid) on a remodeled barn-turned research
>> center (State project). The design used top-down rails mounted to the S-5!
>> clamps.
>>
>> I worked extensively with Rob Haddock of S-5! and learned a lot during the
>> design process. Here's some points:
>>
>> - The clamps will hold the PV array to the roof just fine - we need to worry
>> about how the roof is attached to the building. I.E. The clamp number will
>> be determined by how the load is distributed over the roofing rather than
>> the load capacity of the clamp.
>>
>> - In general, put the S-5! Clips on the same attachment frequency as the
>> roof-to-building clips or screws. That means you need more S-5! clips for
>> thinner gauge roofing attached along seams 12" OC than thicker structural
>> roofing attached with clips every 3 feet.
>>
>> - The potential wind uplift on the array will be approximately the same as
>> what the wind uplift on the roofing would be without the array over it.
>> Again, evenly distributing the load over the roofing is important.
>>
>> - Work closely with the roofing company structural engineer (if a new
>> installation), or find the engineering data for the existing roof.
>>
>> - The shape and type of seam is important in determining the type of S-5!
>> clamp used.
>>
>> - S-5! clamps are very expensive. If the number of clamps in your design is
>> way more than you need for clamp-to-roofing capacity (which it probably will
>> be) you can save over half the cost by using the S-5! "Mini" clamp. Sunwize
>> just sourced some for us for a small job at $6.75 each.
>>
>> -Kelly
>>
>> Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
>> Whidbey Sun & Wind, LLC
>> Renewable Energy Systems