mondo off-grid inverters [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 9 05:10:08 PDT 2006

Chris
You have several of us interested, besides 36 kW 10
inverter 3 phase, can you give us some more specs?  Is
it stand alone?
Can it be grid tied?
Does it use a special Hub or special inverter?
Can I use this technology for a 6 inverter three phase
system? (20 kW)

Thanks Darryl

--- Christopher Freitas  --- OutBack Power
<cfreitas at outbackpower.com> wrote:

> Marco -
>
> There are some large stand-alone inverters out there
> - but the
> performance is usually surprisingly poor from a
> efficiency standpoint.
> Often the idle power consumption is in the 10% of
> the full power rating
> (so 3000 watts for a 30KW unit) and they often weigh
> thousands of pounds
> - real fun to move...  Most of them also are not
> "hybrid" meaning they
> will not charge the battery either.
>
> We are fielding our first 36 KW three phase
> inverter/charger in the next
> few weeks and have many single and split phase 30 to
> 36 kW off-grid
> systems in the field now - some for several years
> already.
>
> Keep in mind that for 36 kW you only need TEN
> OutBack VFX3648 inverters
> - not the "dozens" you mentioned.  Our idle power
> draw will be as low as
> 65 W DC for a 36 kW unit depending on the AC output
> configuration.
> Since we can turn on the additional slave inverters
> with increased load
> the efficiency is very good across the entire power
> range.  All of the
> parts can be carried by one person and even
> installed solo.
>
> From my experience and research - all of the large
> military or
> commercial inverter you find will have a price that
> will be very high,
> less features and the lead time and service response
> unacceptable for
> most off-grid applications.  Most also will require
> high DC battery
> voltages which introduces lots of design issues and
> safety concerns.
>
> I would be very interested in hearing other people's
> experience.
>
> Christopher
>

> Christopher Freitas
> OutBack Power Systems, Inc.