Aluminum vs. Copper? [RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Sun Sep 3 10:46:09 PDT 2006

Aluminum is the preferred wire for the utility company lines here in
Vermont. And they have total responsibility for the maintenance, repairs and
replacement of their wire. The power company engineers have told me that the
AL lasts longer for them than the CU. And with the price of CU so high it
makes no sense to use it when AL can be used. I have seen nicked insulation
ruin CU just as readily as AL wire in the ground. There is good reason that
electricians also use AL for service entrance to homes - it is far more cost
effective in doing the job, and it does the same work as copper when
properly sized and applied (which is not that difficult).

Dave

<< You can use the aluminum if you like, just be sure to use an
anti-oxidant on
all connections. I don't use aluminum as I don't feel it's as durable.>>

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com