Welcome NABCEP members [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Mon Aug 28 21:23:28 PDT 2006

As far as NABCEP recertification goes, flying to California is not in
the budget. Either NABCEP needs to figure this out, or I'm going to lose
my certification in a few months. Too much money for currently low, no
benefit. I'm working hard out here already to promote NABCEP for free,
and then make me pay to go to California? That could be a month's
earnings. Its just too much for us poor, hard working installers on the
front lines.

Ray Walters

I agree with Ray.  As I said earlier, I am a very strong supporter of what NABCEP is trying to do and try to promote it in Virginia.  However, most of you on the left coast do not realize that there is much less solar activity on the east coast and very few NABCEP members.  Bill said we should just fly out there and take the classes but I have been doing that since the early 1990's starting with 2 and 3 day long classes from old Trace Engineering, and frankly, at about $1200 to $1500 for travel and hotel expenses its just not worth it anymore.

I strongly agree that anyone in this business should be able to complete 2 or 3 large pv systems each year and providing documentation of these installations with photos should be about 80% of the renewel process.  But unless you offer approved PV classes anywhere near the rest of us, I think this will soon become a deal breaker for anyone not living in California.  As Ray states, nobody I have ever talked with has a clue what NABCEP stands for, how difficult it is to obtain, we see no referals from the organization, we see no advertisement from the organization, and our clients see nothing to educate them as to why they should look for a NABCEP certified installer.

I do know that most of our clients find us from reading HomePower, Mother Earth News, and Backwoods Home magazine, and I would think these would be a good place to start a few "public service announcements to promote NABCEP"

Jeff Yago

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com