equalizing and exercising [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Fri Aug 25 09:21:07 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Another thing is lead antimony batteries are considered deep cycle and
lead calcium shallow cycle. Lead antimony's seem to last at the best
about 10 to 12 years... lead calcium? I have a used set from the power
plant I work at that are 21 years old now and they still work fine. Lead
antimony's tend to have higher self discharge rates and use water faster
too. Lead calcium batteries have low self discharge rates and hardly use
any water at all. Lead calciums also rarely need equalizing.

So for grid tie with battery back up lead calcium wet cells would
obviously be the cats meow, except for one thing... they are hideously
expensive. Why? The only thing I can figure is they are not mass
produced in the quantities that lead antimony batteries are.

Todd

Darryl Thayer wrote:

>Hi Geoff
>Yes the lead acid batteries come in two types, lead
>calcium and lead antimony. All sealed batteries i
>think are lead calcium, all fork lift batteries are
>lead antimony, other lead acid batteries can be lead
>calcium or lead antimony.
>
>The lead antimony battery was developed for uses where
>battery might recieve physical vibration or impact in
>that the antimony adds strength to the plates.   I do
>not know why calcium is added to the plates.  I
>believe all auto batteries are lead calcium and it is
>reported and observed that auto batteries do not have
>many deep cycles.  Whareas solar batteries have many
>deep cycles.
>
>I have noted that lead antimony has a much higher self
>discharge rate than lead Calcium.  I think the higher
>discharge rate leads to faster self stratification,
>and therefore needs more frequent equalization and
>electrolite stiring.
>
>If batteries are used for stand alone you want many
>deep cycles, if they are used for standby you want
>long term uncycled life.
>
>I hope other wrenches will join in as I would sure
>likt to know more answers.
>Darryl

*
*