Back to the future with DC? [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 15 20:32:05 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hello Jay,

Amen. I understand Nextek's reason for promoting DC, but it seems like the
new generation at EPRI is rehashing some of GE's 1979 study. Even that study
concluded that self-sufficient stand-alone PV systems were less preferable
than utility-connected PV systems. Off-grid DC PV served us well in the
1970s and 1980s, but Heart/Trace changed the game. As you say, small DC PV
(from calculators to cabin systems) makes sense as do larger DC systems for
mobile applications (forklifts, cars, etc), but "big" stationary DC PV for
other than remote comm systems has become as rare as Edison cells.

Joel Davidson