Off-grid pumps [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff windydankoff at mac.com
Sat Jul 22 09:21:09 PDT 2006

Get up to 4 No-risk mortgage quotes – No SSN needed
Competitive rates from the nation’s top lenders in minutes
Lower your mortgage payments by up to $303/month!
http://click.topica.com/caaeYi1bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ BestLenderFinder

Kelly,

To restrict the flow of a standard (multi-stage centrifugal type) AC
sub pump is to waste a great deal of the efficiency of a pump that is
already low-efficiency. That's the worst choice. The pump is
generally about 35% eff. and if you restrict flow to half (down to 3
GPM), you're going to see half that!  It will also cause (to some
extent) an AC voltage dip whenever it starts.

The other choices mentioned are all pos-displacement and in the range
of 45-55% eff. If AC, you'll have to multiply in the inverter loss,
of course.

Grundfos SQ-Flex will run on DC but not on 24V battery system. Must
be 48. (needs over 30V).
Lorentz from Conergy is good for 24V battery system and has low-shutoff.
Shurflo 9300 is cheaper, but in regular home use it needs repair at
probably 4-5 year intervals, usually when the mother-in-law is
visiting, or a house-sitter is in charge.

Pressure pump -- for economy and efficiency, I'd suggest Conergy
classic Flowlight Booster Pump -- but consider the filtration
requirement. If water is sandy, sand will settle in the tank and with
standard filter option, it may be little issue. With the 10 ft.
suction lift you mention, and low demand of a cabin, I'd go with the
Slow Speed Model of Flowlight. It will be more resistant to
cavitation from the total suction of lift + partly clogged filter.

The cheap option for pressure pump is a Shurflo top-of-line RV pump.
I'd make it easy to replace using braided vinyl flex-hose (which also
absorbs pulsation if outlet hose is over 6' long). I'd then suggest
customer replace the pump after a few years and keep old one as a spare.

For either of these pumps, use a min. 40-gallon pressure tank because
they are low in flow rate.

Now, back to my rocking chair ...
Windy

- - - -