2005 code question [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Wed Jul 19 21:23:33 PDT 2006

Get up to 4 No-risk mortgage quotes – No SSN needed
Competitive rates from the nation’s top lenders in minutes
Lower your mortgage payments by up to $303/month!
http://click.topica.com/caaeYi1bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ BestLenderFinder
> Get up to 4 No-risk mortgage quotes – No SSN needed
> Competitive rates from the nation’s top lenders in minutes
> Lower your mortgage payments by up to $303/month!
> http://click.topica.com/caaeYi1bz8Qcsbz9JR3a/ BestLenderFinder
>
> Installing higher voltage array grid tie system.  Normally we route
> from fused array combiner to inverter down outside wall to exterior
> dis-connect (no fuses), then to interior inverter(s).   Client's
> architect vetoed exterior conduit and wants to route through roof
> and down inside exterior wall to above described exterior dis-
> connects at ground level.
>
> We have been designing to 2005 code although this county still
> using older code.  New section 690.31 (E)  "Where direct-current pv
> output circuits are run inside a building, they shall be contained
> in metallic raceways from point of penetration to first accessible
> dis-connect."
>
> also,
>
> Section 690.14 (C) 5. Grouping. "The pv dis-connecting meansshall
> be grouped other dis-connecting means....."
>
> Question - Does this require Intermediate Threaded Metal Conduit or
> is EMT allowed?
No problem
> How about conduit above roof line?
No problem as long as you support it correctly

> Question - I think inspector may ask us to move the DC array dis-
> connect from back of house to side where meter base and AC dis-
> connect are located due to above.  Does this mean up to 6 array dis-
> connects shall be grouped together, or ALL power source dis-
> connects to house grouped together?
Here in Oregon, we are required to put an ac disconnect for the PV
system within 10' of the meter. An archaic, redundant rule as UL and
IEEE require the inverter to power down in an outage, linemen working
on the feeders would either pull the feeder fuse or ground the lines
in any case and just ignore it anyway, but there it is.
However, even in the worse case, just put in a second ac disco. One
at the output of the inverter and one near the meter. $35.00 or so.
Big deal. That way you keep the DC and ac discos at the inverter
where they belong.
Bob-O

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php