soiling city [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 29 20:23:03 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Sprinkling an array or dew on an array can catch dust and dirt and increase
the amount of soiling. I suggest picking an acceptable soiling loss (for
example 2% or 4%), monitoring the array and hosing it down when you think it
needs it.

Powerlight paper abstract:
The accumulation of dirt on solar panels ("soiling") can

have a significant impact on the performance of PV

systems in regions where rainfall is limited for a dry

season of several months. This effect is magnified where

rainfall is absent in the peak-solar summer months, such

as in California and the Southwest region of the United

States. This paper describes the effects of soiling on

energy production for large grid-connected systems in the

US and presents a model for predicting soiling losses.

I have a copy of the paper.

Joel Davidson