Charge Controllers & Grid-tie Inverters [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Mon Jun 12 22:06:35 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

HI;

I've been playing with this problem with my own EV (144 v nom). The
losses of the dc-ac-dc are not as bad as you might think. I was charging
the other day at a little better than 80% efficiency. That was from my
friend's DR2412 through a 100 ft long 14 awg extension cord to my step
up transformer and then to a K&W charger. That's a lot of stuff, and we
read his E meter out of his batteries, and my E meter into my batteries.
(84%) We could have done all kinds of stuff to improve that: shorter
thicker extension cord, Manzanita Micro power factor corrected charger,
etc. My previous charger from Manzanita had efficiency better than 95%,
it just didn't like dirty grid power around here.
The only other game would be to create your own control system with a
voltage controlled relay. EV suppliers have special relays with flash
protectors and other weird stuff to control the very hard to control
high voltage DC. You'd still need the AC charger for finish and float
charging.
 Another possibility would be to undersize the voltage of the array
string, so that it could bulk charge the batteries at the modules MPPT,
and then as battery voltage rose their output current would just peter
out. Then you'd just use the DC-AC-DC charging for the last 20% to 30%
to finish the charge. You might add another module to the string in the
summer and drop it in the winter... but then the EV batteries need
higher voltage when its cold...... (and PV to battery mismatch could be
as inefficient as the original charging method.)
I'm just throwing ideas I've had out....
Another idea I considered was to split the vehicle battery bank into sub
groups with a voltage an MX-60 could handle (60 v battery nominal max I
believe). But then that's a whole lot of loot on controllers...
Playing with Vehicle Integrated PV (VIPV) definitely has me looking at
lower voltage, smaller machines at the moment. (48 volt motorcycle I
built is a blast)
This is a question thats actually going to come up more as our good old
USA  progresses away from oil. There is even proposals to use EV battery
banks to help with grid peaking, and then buy back at a lower TOU rate.
Get ready ya'll, Grid tie PV was fringe stuff 20 years ago, too.

Ray

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php