Single vs Distributed Inverters? [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Thu Jun 8 17:12:41 PDT 2006

Jeff and David,

I think the simplicity and installation of a single 45 or 50 kW inverter is
better than several smaller inverters. Space may be an issue as well. Our
industry, for all the many inverters, does not have a lot to offer in this
size range. Redundancy is not all that great of a benefit, but everybody has
their opinion.

My feeling is that the Square D 60-Amp and 100-Amp disconnects fundamentally
change the way we should do PV system design. They are both rated for their
full current rating per pole for 600Vdc PV systems. Anything 20 kW and
larger should be looking at using one of these disconnects with 6-10 string
combiner boxes fed into each pole of the disconnect. It is so simple and
straitforward, that I can't justify doing it any other way. It also makes
sense for 1MW PV systems to use a whole bunch of 100-A subarrays. Try it
you'll like it.

As far as inverters go, field experience is king when selecting an inverter.
If you are familiar with Solectria SMA 6000 or Xantrex PV45 or Satcon 50,
and that experience is solid, then by all means go for it. If you don't have
the experience, talk to others in the industry who have solid experience.

Right now there are so many inverters and inverter manufacturers on the
market that it is a bit scary from a designer's point of view. Don't get
adventurous on anything that is more than 1/2 hour from your shop. You will
be sorry.

Bill.