Drainback vs. Closed Loop Circulators [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar bill_loesch at compuserve.com
Thu Jun 8 00:51:49 PDT 2006

Hi Goeff.

Yes, I have _seen_ the results of drainback control failure in a freezing
climate. If you want to be entertained talk to Jeff (Smitty) Schmitt, he
has had practice telling his drain back horror story and if it were not so
sad (with the blood and ambulance) it would be funny.

Bill Loesch, Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar

PS
Fellow Wrench, Conrad Geyser had the comment -

Message text written by INTERNET:RE-wrenches at topica.com

As I lean more heavily onto the drainback side of the fence, I am still
stumbling with HTF of dowfrost blend VS 100% distilled water.  (I am in a
freezing climate).  Here are two possible wrench wives tails I am looking
for feedback on:

#1 - plain old water is still a freeze liability IF the controller or
thermistor fails and circulates at night.  Has this EVER happened? is this
real issue?  I'm typically using a GL-30 (but am going to check out the
tekmar...).

#2 - a glycol mix in an open system leads to corrosion as the glycol
drains,
leaves residue and then (either the acid from bad glycol or the alkaline
inhibitors from fresh glycol???) corrode the collectors and plumbing.

And for good measure, a third question about experience (or the stupidity
of
even thinking of) locating a reservoir/HE tank in an unconditioned attic,
wrapped in an insulated "hot box" with insulation removed from the ceiling
and or knee wall separating it from conditioned space.

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner

THIRD SUN SOLAR & WIND POWER Ltd.