Single vs Distributed Inverters? [RE-wrenches]

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Wed Jun 7 22:33:59 PDT 2006

David,

>From a simplicity perspective and elegance of fewer pieces of the puzzle to
have to put together, going with a single 45 kW Xantrex or 50 kW SatCon is
definitely the way to go.  All this talk about multiple inverters being
better since if one goes down, the others will still be plugging away...what
in tarnation is that kind of design philosophy based on failure
anticipation?  (No offense toward my SMA, Fronius and PV Powered friends...)

Having used both the Xantrex and SatCon three-phase units, let me know
off-list if you're interested in my evaluation of the two.

Marco
ProVision Technologies
Hilo, Hawai'i

Wrenches,

We're trying to design our first large PV system - 40kW grid-tied,
roof-mount, 208V grid - and we're wrestling with the inverter
selection.  I've seen traffic on this list with seemingly split
opinions as to go with a single large inverter or to use multiple
parallel smaller inverters.  So, anyone care to re-open that thread
and share your opinions and experiences?

Thanks in advance.  Hope to see all you at the Energy Fair! www.the-mrea.org

-David

----------
David Blecker, PE