Drainback vs. Closed Loop Circulators [RE-wrenches]

Conrad Geyser conradg at cape.com
Wed Jun 7 20:15:05 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

I think that this corrosion issue is what is at the heart of the drainback
failure rate that we see.
If you make your drainback closed loop, i.e. non-vented, then maybe that's a
way around this.  No oxygen introduction.
Otherwise, corrosion of the circulators and the collection loops definitely
has been an issue.
One of our favorite ways to minimize summer overheating in our glycol
systems is to put in a section of baseboard that is fed by a three way zone
valve (Erie please).
Control the zone valve with an aquastaton the glycol loop set to 160 F.
This works out well in the NE where most of the basements that we go in have
dehumidifiers going all summer.  Another is a "vacation valve" that bypasses
the check valve and allows reverse thermosiphoning at night(credit Bill
Guiney).
Just hoping to avoid repeated mistakes...
Conrad G.
Cotuit Solar