ground rod question [RE-wrenches]

Ken Schaal ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Mon Jun 5 05:16:01 PDT 2006

Last week we finished a net meter install--pole mount-- and as usual worked
with a local electrician for the AC connections, since they're familiar with
conditions and inspectors, as well as specialized tools and supplies ! The
shale began about 2 ' down, so standard practice, including the utility co.,
is to drive at an angle. We placed two rods at the arrays-- 1 at ea. pole--
and tied into the utility ground at the meter base. Our rods went in with a
roto hammer with ground rod attachment-- hammer only, no roto--
Both rods about 15 min.

At the other end of the scale, and in sandy soil near the coast, we were
rebuilding a power panel thoroughly zapped when we noticed that the 2 8'
rods could be pulled up by hand, easily! After some research, we decided to
use a plate type ground. About 10 sq.ft. of used copper roofing with
strapping attached to ground the array. Off grid . We've also used this
approach for a site on the Equator which was built on a slab of rock . The
plate was placed at the edge of the forest under as much moist cover as they
could get.
Does anyone else have experience with this approach ?

Thanks !

Ken