Replacing overflowed electrolyte (was: More on battery management) [RE-wren

Bob Ellison ellison at gisco.net
Wed May 10 16:41:09 PDT 2006

Another way to do this is somewhat dangerous, it is called acid balancing. I
have to do it a couple times a year when some ID10T overflows the battery
cells. Get some 1.400 grade acid, Measure all the cells with a hydrometer,
remove electrolyte from the low cells to the top of the plates depending how
diluted they are. Then add 1.400 to the full ring. Charge all batteries
until the electrolyte is well mixed. Measure gravity again. If still low
remove more electrolyte and add more 1.400 and redo the process. If you go
over remove electrolyte and add a small amount of water and repeat the
process till you get it right.
I maintain several industrial batteries, 40 cells each and 80 volts. These
puppies will shock you if you get between the hot and case or ground. How
much depends on where in the string you are making contact.

If the batteries have the flip top caps the fill pitcher will overfill them
every time. The caps have to be off to get the level correct.

It will be easier and safer to take the batteries to an industrial battery
shop (anyone who works on fork lift type batteries) and ask them to "acid
balance" the battery.
I don't suppose they are close enough that I could help? I have 15 gallons
or so of 1.400 sitting here looking for some cells to hang out in.....

Hope this helps,
Bob