Pex for SDHW [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Sun May 7 16:11:57 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeKAPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

--On Sunday, May 07, 2006 3:45 PM -0700 Kurt Albershardt <info at es-ee.com> wrote:

> --On Sunday, May 07, 2006 6:21 PM -0400 Conrad Geyser <conradg at cape.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think that you will find an overwhelming consensus to not use any kind of
>> plastic tubing for SDHW.  There will be a situation sooner or later where
>> you will get live steam in the loop as hot as 350 F.
>
> Even in a drainback setup with proper temp limits?

This is a 5-story commercial building with a basement where the storage tanks will live.  That means a ~70 foot vertical lift & return for the water.  In addition to the usual high temp limit for draining the collectors, it would probably make sense to have a failsafe temp valve (set 20º higher?) that would dump into the building drains in the event that the main limit failed.  Don't have the collector system specified yet, but the main hydronic loop is looking like it will be 3" or 3½" pipe.

.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php