S-5 clamps [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Mon May 1 07:37:29 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeKAPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Hiya Tom,
I've used them on half a dozen jobs so far. Love 'em! Just finishing
a job with 165 150W modules. The only hole in the roof will be the
home run.
You'll need an inch-pounds torque wrench to tighten them properly.
They work best on standing vertical seam roofing. They will work on
steep "^" seam roofing, but you have to crimp the Vees beforehand. I
assume you mean combiner rather than J-boxes? A piece of AL or strut
between two clips works good for that. There MIGHT be room under the
modules for that depending on the PV mount but why? Take a module off
for access? No good. If you are using series fusing, it would be a no-
no anyway. If you are using a combiner box such as the ones that
Energy Outfitters makes, they bolt to your power rail so no other
mounting is necessary. Mo betta.
Sometimes the client doesn't get quite what they think they want.
Good Luck, Bob-O
On May 1, 2006, at 5:24 AM, Tom DeBates wrote:

> Hello Wrenches,
>   Has anyone had experience(s) with S-5 clamps that they would like to
> share? Any layout tips? Best way to set J-Boxes? Is there sufficient
> clearance to set J-Boxes under modules (if client
> requests)?...anything
> else?
> thanks,
> Tom