more MX60 / generator charging [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 04:07:49 PDT 2006

HI Kirk, Todd and other wrenches
I built a circuit and did quite a bit of testing
before installing at the customers.  I learned quite a
lot, I kept notes during the tests, however I did not
save these notes beyond the completion of the design.
(Altho I am old I remember the tests quite well)  I
had made some wrong assumptions in the design of the
test apparatus which I would like you to be aware.
Chris and Outback staff were very supportive, and
Chris said that if I fried the MX 60 before install he
would cover on warrenty, as they were interested in my
tests.  (I did this system in  summer of 2003).  After
testing I installed at the customers site and set up
with the customers generator.

The first customer has a large but short duration very
critical load. (Outback quad stack, 1200 AH C&D
battery set)  Two solar arrays with different
orentations, and two MX60s. ( one of the MX 60s is
connected to 1.2 kW solar array and the generator) He
is grid connected in an area with rather unstable
power lines.  (He will lose power on every major
storm) The system has been called upon several times
since install.

I will list the experiances and design lessons if you
are interested.

The final circuit was an Outback x240 connected as a
step down auto transformer.  An NTE 5346 600 volt 80
amp full wave rectifier from Ness Electronics was
connected to the output of the X240. The rectifier was
mounted to a heat sink, similar to a Wakefield 395.
The output of the rectifier was connected to the input
of the MX60.

When the system is running the 120 volt power also
powers two 120 volt Outack cooling fans.  They blow on
the x240 and on the rectifier-heat sink.

If you or others are interested I will send more test
information, however I do not want to bore you or
others.
Darryl