Heating [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 27 06:22:26 PST 2006

Hi Max
Travis's suggestion is a good one.
I have done 4 radient heat wood floor jobs in
Minnesota.  The secret is in the insulation of the
walls and ceiling, ie the heat loss.  YOu have a
maximum temp that the tubes can or should run at, and
you need heat spreaders, and of course insulation
under the floor.  But the game is the heat transfer to
the floor surface has to equal or exceed the heat loss
to the outside at the minimum outside temp. I can go
into more details if you like.

The second problem is if the floor heat gets to hot
the wood changes in size and effects the floor
apprearance.,  The other problem is the space has a
very slow heat up rate, and often when the set back is
used and the time to warm starts before the cool down
is started.  joking but if the house is cool it may
take 12 hrs to reach good comfort, unless you want to
over heat the floor.  In this case the thermal mass is
high compared to heating capacity.

The cheapest heat is forced air in most cases,
followed by base board.  The heat source if not
alternative may be electric or gas.  In my area the
off peak electric is cheaper than Natural gas or
Propane or fuel oil.  With hydronic you have the
option to use stored electric heat.

Good luck
Darryl

http://www.radiantpanelassociation.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1