zero energy home and heat pump sizing.... [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 16:32:26 PST 2006

Hi Geoff
I have done two houses in minnesota that were to be
zero energy.  One is close.

The smaller is 3400 sq ft conditioned.  The heat
source is 12 kW, and it does heat at -20 F.  The house
is very tight (VERY TIGHT) and it has an aire to air
exchanger.  The windows are H windows.
The 12 kW is of course equal to about 40 kBTU, and
uses direct resistance heating.  The heat is
distrubuted via infloor PEX tubing and antifreeze.   I
am in a 8000 Degree day region.

The second house is Larger with 4500 Square feet
living area, and in a 9000 Degree day area and is
heated 15 kW, at a design temperature of -30 F.  This
house is also very tight, uses an Air to Air
exchanger, has infloor heat and heat recovery from
several items.  The windows are low e argon, smaller
triple glazed on north, east and west, with large
double glazed on the south.

Darryl