2.5 kW PM Micro-hydro [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 20 02:47:02 PST 2006

<x-flowed>
Hi Carl,

For 65' of head, you'll need a pelton wheel capable of handling about
450 gpm ( 1.0 Ft3/sec).

The Hi-Power (Derik Veenuis) units will work nicely for that
application.  The standard offered models include one that will go up
to 3600 watts @ 440 Volts wild AC and will work nicely at 2500 watts
.  You'ld use a 4 nozzle setup and can achieve variable flow by
selecting different nozzles via ball valves  - Three 7/8" nozzles
would give you 455 gpm at that height.  And it looks like you'ld want
5" or 6" pipe depending on how far a run you have.  Your wheel will
spin about 1700 rpm with this configuration.

You can get them at AEE (aeesolar.com) or you can get custom units
direct from Derik at the email I gave before.  They come complete
with transformer and rectifier.

Or you can take any pelton wheel made by anyone of the right size (4"
pelton will work nicely) and fit your own induction brushless
alternator on it of the right rpm and voltage/amperage. Then you have
to get a transformer and rectifier to match.    You can save quite a
bit of money if you are handy this way.  Though the complete package
offered by Hi-power does save a good amount of work and hassle.
(about US$5000 retail for the whole package) or get a dealership with
AEE.

Hope that helps!

Jeff C.
Village Power Design

>Jeff,
>
>We have a 65 foot fall and plenty of flow.
>
>Need a battery system because the loads greater than 2 kW are required to be
>met during a power failure.
>
>I am expecting to have to import something.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl E
>

>Hi Carl,
>
>If you are looking for a pelton wheel, contact  Derik Veenhuis
><derik at asis.com>
>
>If you are low head (scroll francis turbines), then contact Ron
>Macleod  <microhydro at dplus.net>
>
>Assuming that U.S. contacts help!?  If the grid is available,
>consider doing away with the batteries and feed it right into a
>grid-tie inverter. (rectified and voltage clamped of course)
>
>Hope that helps,
>
>Jeff C.
>Village Power Design
>

>>Hullo all,
>>
>>I am looking for a 2 - 2.5 kW PM micro-hydro with a 400V three phase wild
>AC
>>output.
>>
>>This is because we need to reticulate the output about 600M to the battery
>>bank.
>>
>>We are looking at stepping the AC down then rectifying into an MX60.
>>
>>Can someone suggest a possible supplier?
>>
>>Many Thanks,
>>
>>Carl Emerson
>>Auckland N.Z.
>>
>>--
>
>--
>Small Business Virtual Office VoIP Phone System. Big
>Business Functionality for a Small Business Telephone
>price. Packet8 Business Sales 1-877-868-1135
>http://click.topica.com/caaer6Fbz8Qcsa9hBZif/ TMONE
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & how to change your email address:
>www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage