Module row spacing, N-S? [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Tue Jan 31 23:31:42 PST 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaerelbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Jeremy:

Here's how I'd solve this:

1. I'd browse to: http://www.susdesign.com/design-tools.html and click on
Sun angles.  I'd enter in my location information.

2. I'd also enter the earliest hour I'd like to see no shading.

3. I'd click calculate to get my sun altitude angle.

4. I'd sweep up my shop floor.  Lord knows it needs it anyway.

5. I'd chalk out the angle and height of the lower row of modules and then
a line at the top of that row corresponding to the sun altitude.

6. I'd chalk the roof angle from the bottom of that first row.

7. Where the lines in 5 and 6 meet is where you'd put the base of your
second row.

(Solved graphically on the floor of my CAD program, in Denver on Dec 21 at
10:00 AM:  1' 8 3/4", as measured vertically down from the top of the first
row on the pitch).

If you want the trig solution, I put up a pdf on my web site:

Go to:  http://mpandc.com/
Click on:  Downloads
Click on: Sloped roof solution.pdf

(The key is the ratio of the two angles that make up the left vertices on
the non-right green triangle and applying that ratio to divide the base
into non-equal parts.)

Hope this helps.

William

At 04:50 PM 1/28/2006, you wrote:

>Jeremy, the easy answer, that's safe for all US continental latitudes, is 3
>times the vertical difference between the back of one row and the front of
>the next row. That'll give you enough space to avoid shading at 10am on Dec.
>19th.
>
>If space is tight, then get out the trig books, or I'm sure one of the
>programs on the Solar Design Studio from Maui Solar Software covers row
>spacing.
>
>Cheers,
>Doug Pratt
>DC Power Systems

=
Shopping for a new car?
Pay 2-3% below invoice on a new car of your choice.
Save thousands with our free car discount finder service!
http://click.topica.com/caaerMmbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Dealix

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com