Update :Flood Destroys Solar Living Center [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Sat Jan 14 10:15:50 PST 2006

Get your VoIP on with Packet8's Videophone.
Crystal clear images of your loved ones. 30
day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaen2ubz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

Jeff,
Sorry, but I just can't get past the fact that you can hit RG with a
rock from the SLI and they get ALL the biz generated by you. Giving
SLI $$ is simply supporting RG in reality and I'll be damned if I'm
going there!  Along those lines, please be straight with this list
and tell us just what got flooded and needs replacing. I've heard
that at least part of the $150K tossed about is for a tractor and
various old vehicles that were in the lower parking areas and just
didn't get moved. Is that the case? If so, well.....
Bob-O
On Jan 13, 2006, at 12:49 AM, Jeff Oldham wrote:

> Thanks to all that have come to help with the clean-up and the cash
> donations! As most know I work for Real Goods and was one of the
> designers and the Project Manager for the construction. What most
> don't seem to know is that there are two organizations on the 12ac
> site. The RG store (high and dry) and the Solar Living Institute
> that is a non-profit educational endeavor. Being that the SLI is a
> non-profit we have to be very careful to keep an arms length from
> the for-profit RG. "Deep Pockets"??? We are all in the solar biz,
> who has deep pockets in this industry?!! The SLI owns the land and
> maintains it. Some miscommunication and water literally flooding
> overnight (I got 6.5" of rain overnight!) caught a few off-guard.
> It seems a flood ripped propane tank was the fire culprit.
> RG may have lost about $50k in inverters and such stored in
> shipping containers down in the parking lot and the SLI is out
> about $150k in various damages.  RG is simply in no position to
> bail the SLI out of the situation and they have had to rely on the
> generosity of our supporters. I say "our" as I serve on the BOD of
> the SLI as I have so much of my soul in the place.
> I firmly believe in the value of the educational and outreach
> programs that the SLI supports and thank all that have reached out
> to help, it has been very emotional to see the new "flood" of
> donations and support from both our industry and the public.
> We are making good headway towards recovery and see this as an
> opportunity to start with a clean slate and learn from our mistakes
> and lessons. This has always been a demonstration center and we've
> never feared taking risks and pushing the envelope - we've learned
> a lot!
> I wish all a much better New Year than the start of ours!
>
> REgards,
> -jeff o
>

> From the Solar, Wind and Hydro powered office of Jeff Oldham

First Month Free! Then 50% off Months 2 & 3!
Discounted Activation, Free Equipment! Packet8
30-day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaen1Sbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com