5000W/ 48V water heater dump load element [RE-wrenches]

Dan Brown Cvsolar2 at aol.com
Tue Dec 26 08:42:14 PST 2006

Thanks for all the input everyone.
       At this point we're still pretty much in the design phase of this
project. First off -- yes, the 10K can spend over a third of it's time regulating,
(and they already use over 400kwh/mo.)
        the  care taker / main brain of this project is an ex-engineer now
general contractor. I'm just a lowly system installer.  he's the one pushing for
a hot water heater thingy in line with the boiler. I agree, but envision
something more like a tarn heat storage system with multiple inputs. the dump load
from the XL-10 being just one of them. (I'd also like to see them burning
wood -- they're sitting on like 300 acres of woods, and are totally reliant on
propane.) or maybe even a dump load / heating element that fits into their
existing boiler. right now i have them set up to use two 1200w 110v oil
filled radiant heaters triggered (thru a relay) by an OB aux out. not big
enough.
        anyway, they say they're considering all options,  and the owner is
receptive to efficiency, and environmental responsibility issues. but cost does
need to be considered.
        the care taker dude was pushing for a conventional 240v hot water
heater running off the inverters. cheaper --yes. controllable? -- well, we do
have two more OB aux outs to use. but running that much freight thru that much
circuitry makes me a little edgy. so I'm thinking -- at least keep it on the DC
side --yes, i could see setting up multiple hot water heaters, and staging
element start thresholds. but that conjures up even more control issues i.e.;
how is this mess disabled in the eq mode? i would like to keep battery
maintenance as simple as possible. -- more likely to get done.
       so, I'm pretty much fishing for  a consensus here -- what do most
folks do?  what works? what doesn't?  is there a reliable "off the shelf"
controller / element capable of handling this kind of logic -- at that kind of
freight? --( that doesn't require a Ph.D. to operate?)
        i do value all your insight, and appreciate having this  forum in
which to air such laundry -- thanks all.
                                                  hope you all have a safe
and joyous holiday season. dan

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php