5000W/ 48V water heater dump load element [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 23 22:40:30 PST 2006

Hi again
just to be clear, my dump load is not 5kW. it is more
like 1 or 2 kW.  The tristar I use is a TS60.  Has
anyone tried to parallel two tristars to handle a 100
amp load of a single 5kW heater?  I would think that
both of them would fry.  First one tristar would take
the whole 100 amps and fry its FETS then the second
would do the same.

Back to Dan Can you get a way of using 4 0r 5 each 2
kW heaters?
Darryl

--- Darryl Thayer <daryl_solar at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys and everybody
> I have been involved with this scheme three times,
> and
> have had trouble every time.  In the most recent
> case, a Solar Boost from RV products attemps to
> charge
> the battery, tristar diverts, SW plus charges
> batteries if there has been a outage or from
> generator
> during outage when battery insufficent to carry
> load.
> Perhaps 3 to 8 outages per year.
>
> When the batteries are fully charged, the Tristar
> diverts the charge from the batteries to the water
> heater (the tristar working as a diversion
> controller)
>  If the water heater is full (hot), senced by
> thermostat on water heater the charge is dumped to
> space heater using a power relay.
>
> The tristar lives, the Solar boost lives, the SW
> plus
> lives, but the batteries die in one to two years. I
> can never get the batteries to be charged correctly.
>
> They either get overcharged or undercharged.  It
> sweems as if the setting on the Solar boost,
> tristar,
> SW Plus drift constantly or change.   Some times the
> solar boost will sence overvoltage and cut out or
> other times the SW will be charging the battery and
> the tristar will be selling the power to the water
> heater then the space heater.  It seems to me the
> setting on the controllers are not accurate enough
> play this game.
> Thanks Darryl

http://mail.yahoo.com

- - - -